Note: Review the page requirements and formatting instructions for this assignment closely. Graphically depicted solutions, as well as the standardized formatting requirements, do not count toward the overall page length.
Imagine you are an information systems security officer for a medium-sized financial services firm with operations in Virginia, Florida, Arizona, and California. Due to the highly sensitive data created, stored, and transported by your organization, the CIO is concerned with implementing proper security controls for the LAN-to-WAN domain, specifically:
- Protecting data privacy across the WAN.
- Filtering undesirable network traffic from the Internet.
- Filtering the traffic to the Internet that does not adhere to the organizational acceptable use policy (AUP) for the Web.
- Having a zone that allows access for anonymous users but aggressively controls information exchange with internal resources.
- Having an area designed to trap attackers and monitor attacker activities.
- Allowing a means to monitor network traffic in real time as a means to identify and block unusual activity.
- Hiding internal IP addresses.
- Allowing operating system and application patch management.
The CIO has tasked you with proposing a series of hardware and software controls to provide security for the LAN-to-WAN domain. The CIO anticipates receiving a written report and diagrams to support your recommendations.
Write a 3–5 page paper in which you:
- Use MS Visio or an open-source equivalent to graphically depict a solution for the provided scenario that will:
- Filter undesirable network traffic from the Internet.
- Filter Web traffic to the Internet that does not adhere to the organizational AUP for the Web.
- Allow for a zone for anonymous users that aggressively controls information exchange with internal resources.
- Allow for an area designed to trap attackers and monitor attacker activities.
- Offer a means to monitor network traffic and identify and block unusual activity in real time.
- Hide internal IP addresses.
- Identify the fundamentals of public key infrastructure (PKI).
- Explain how your solution will protect the privacy of data transmitted across the WAN.
- Analyze the requirements necessary to allow for proper operating system and application patch management and propose an effective solution.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Reminder: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Propose security solutions for a LAN-to-WAN domain.