Select four people currently well known in the USA media and discuss their exertion of one of the sources of power. Students must cover all four of the sources of power discussed on page 263 of your textbook. Apply only one source of power to each of the four people selected.
For all discussions questions a primary response of 300 word must be posted to the discussion forum, the post must be submitted by Wednesday at midnight. Each student is to post a reply to another students’ posting (minimum 200 words) and must be posted Sunday by Midnight. All late submissions will receive a zero grade.
Requirements (please read)
For each discussion, you are required to write an initial post (300 words) and one secondary post (200 words). The discussion forums will be worth 40 points apiece—25 points for the initial post and 15 points for the secondary post. For your initial and secondary posts, you must have at least two academic peer-reviewed articles for references. You must get them from the library. There are directions at the top of our Moodle page showing how to utilize the library.
Grading for discussions.
- All discussions must be completed on-time and must include in-text citations and references in APA style formatting. If you do not use in-text citations or they are not in APA format you will lose 3 points. If you do not have references or if they are not in APA format, you will lose 5 points. (You do not need citations and references for secondary posts).
- You will lose 10% based on word count if your posts are too short. For example, your initial post is 300 words, if you have 250 words you will lose 5 points. 50 words short times 10% (50 x .10 = 5).
- If any part of your post is copied and pasted (ANY POST), you will receive a “0”. I will not ask you about it and you will not have a chance to resubmit the post.
These are the various types of powers explained in the text book.There are four types of power classified based on various fields of knowledge position etc.
Information based power is the purely gained knowledge on a particular topic in addition to extra information on a particular thing. I would like to give a classic example of ‘face book’ for information based power .The well known and frequently heared name on social media these days is Mark Zukerberg, the co-founder of face book ,the person who is attained with information of millions and billions of people on social media. Probably he is the person interested in the information based power category where he could design an app for the people to connect all around the world.
Recently a security breach by Cambridge analytica ,has been brought into lime light the hidden secrets of public data misuse or misassumptions of misusing people’s personel information .He was recently called by congress of USA government by accusing him for sharing and said to be sold ,the people’s personel information to other school
Position of the person in a country makes him powerful by acquiring the highest authoritative position in the organization(Joshua, M. (2018))..A classic example would be president of USA Donald Trump. He has powers to make any type of bold decisions and implement them as and when he wants to. The decisions taken are good and some times they doesn’t make any sense.But one should be conscious in making decisions as power is not the only thing to misuse it, so the decisions taken are informed to his staff and present situations are kept in mind before implementing something.
Referral power is generally known as relationship based power this can be acquired by the person who has good social contacts in the society can form an empire to establish his business.The classic example for this referral based power would be the businessman who is the whole and sole owner of airlines-‘kingfisher ‘ He bankrupted huge amounts of money and flew to hide in UK later was accused.
The President of NBC Steve Capus is a very good example of contextual power which arises from the context where negociations takes place.Which involves culture ,various constituencies and external audience. (Merchant, P. 2018)
1. Antoni, C. (2004). The optimal degree of commitment in a negotiation with a deadline. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00199-003-0380-5
3. Joshua, M. (2018). French and Raven’s five forms of power. Retrieved from https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_56.htm
4. Merchant, P. (2018, January 30). 5 Sources of power in organizations. Retrieved from http://smallbusiness.chron.com/5-sources-power-organizations-14467.htm
During the time that he was doing argue about, it was necessary for him to ask the correct inquiry at the welcome time and he did as such on a stage of president’s open speculation. He is the individual who performed the Fox News number one in the printing press. He debates with the legislative occasions and shows his gathering of people what they need to see. The media industry is changing upon a blending mechanism. Press directing merges questions that are unaware in various agencies. The quality of a press partnership calculates on upon what number of public house gets their managerial statistics from news sources controlled by that body. In the competition that ownership is amazingly partitioned, no individual media shopkeeper can apply a king sized effect on voters. Latino young fellows demonstrate little stands out when differentiated from White young fellows, prevalently in science examinations. The separating comes about between racial/ethnic and sexual introduction minorities in self-examination and comes about, when diverged from regulated assessments, include the upsetting effect that intersection racial/ethnic and sex division have in planning academic outcomes that predict achievement in grown-up life. Interventions to abstain from achievement gaps can’t totally win as long as social stratification caused by sexual introduction and racial isolation isn’t tended to. Statistical power is gotten from a man’s capacity to impact others by means of dangers, disciplines or authorizes. A lesser staff part may work late to meet a due date to maintain a strategic distance from disciplinary activity from his manager. He revealed to me it appeared like some individual making a novel and the writer gathering a story with characters which wind up being true blue and sensible. Lester Holt is those individuals whose source of power is contrasted from others and that he has showed clearly the chairman altercate about where he produces his employment accompanied by no check.
1. Joshua, M. (2018). French and Raven’s five forms of power. Retrieved from https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_56.htm.
2. Merchant, P. (2018, January 30). 5 Sources of power in organizations. Retrieved from http://smallbusiness.chron.com/5-sources-power-organizations-14467.htm